When to Lead and When to Get Out of the Way

 The room is empty an hour before service.

I am standing at the edge of Chef Masa's counter, six floors above Orchard Road at Cuppage Plaza. Eight seats. A pale hinoki counter, wiped so many times the wood has gone soft with care. The air smells faintly of the sea and of vinegared rice. Somewhere behind me, a knife is being set down with the quiet click of a thing returned to its place.

Nobody has arrived yet. The room is just breathing.

I have spent years building things across food, education, and property. And standing in a room like this, before the noise begins, the same old question always surfaces: When does a founder steer the ship, and when do they quietly yield to the current?

I used to think I knew the answer. I thought leadership meant having the final word on everything.

The counter taught me otherwise.

The Instinct to Push



In the early days, I wanted control over every millimeter.

I believed leadership meant holding the answer to every detail: the exact fold of a towel, the precise angle of a knife. If I could just get every small thing right, the whole thing would hold.

That belief cracked one afternoon in the kitchen.

A junior cook was preparing the daily vegetables before service. I had already taught him a very specific way to slice the daikon, drawn from my own careful study. I watched him quietly ignore it, using a small variation in his wrist instead. I was ready to correct him on the spot.

Then I looked at the result.

His cuts were cleaner than mine. They held the texture of the root better than my method ever had. He had not defied me out of carelessness. He had found something truer through his own hands.

I had to abandon my preference right there, in the quiet of that kitchen. It cost me something. But it taught me a lesson I keep relearning.

Pushing harder is not the same as leading. Sometimes the strongest thing a founder can do is step aside and let the craft speak.

Leadership Is a Dial, Not a Posture

We are taught that leadership is a single stance of absolute authority.

It is not. It is a dial, turned carefully depending on what is in front of you. The whole art is knowing which things demand your rigid defense and which things ask for your silence.

What you must lead on

Some things you must always lead on:

  • Standards (the fish)
  • How people treat one another
  • Rituals that make the room what it is

These are the load-bearing beams, and they cannot bend. You are the architect of the culture, and that blueprint has to be protected without apology.

What you should follow

But other things ask you to follow:

  • The way a guest actually responds
  • The reality your team lives on the floor
  • The stubborn logic of a material or a market

Following here is not weakness. It is a form of disciplined attention.

A simple test for turning the dial

I use a simple test when I am unsure which way to turn the dial:

  • If the cost of being wrong is permanent, I assert control and slow everything down.
  • If the cost of being rigid means ignoring a better truth, I yield to the signal at once.

Lead on what cannot be undone. Follow on everything the room knows better than you.

What the Counter Refuses

The omakase counter is a lesson in this balance, quietly, every night.

Fixed grammar

Chef Masa leads on the things that matter most. The fish flies in from Tokyo's Toyosu Market before Singapore wakes, chosen by suppliers who read the light in an eye and the firmness of the flesh. Not the biggest catch: the right one. The rice is seasoned to a single balance of tang and sweetness. Wasabi grated fresh from the root. None of that is up for debate. It is the fixed grammar of the room.

Flexible response

But watch him with a guest, and you see how much he follows.

Omakase means, roughly, I leave it up to you. It sounds like the guest surrendering control to the chef. In truth, the surrender runs both ways. Chef Masa reads each person at the counter and adjusts:

  • the pace of the meal
  • the weight of each piece
  • the order it arrives in

He does not impose a fixed menu. He responds to what the evening asks for.

That is the paradox held in one small room: absolute rigor about the ingredient, complete flexibility about the person.

The counter is strict where it must be and soft where it can be, and it never confuses the two.

Following the Grain



The hardest lessons came when I refused to follow and the material made me.

The property

When we took on an old property in the Japanese alps, I arrived with rigid plans. I wanted to open up the interior walls and modernize the space. Clean lines. My vision, fully imposed.

Then the local master carpenter began peeling back the layers. The original timber framing carried a structural logic that flatly contradicted my drawings. The standard of building something with a soul stayed fixed. But the method had to change. I set down my architectural ego and followed the carpenter's read of the wood. The room that emerged had a soul my drawings never could have given it.

The academy

The same thing happened at the academy.

In the second year, we rolled out a tightly structured curriculum. I was attached to the pacing of it. Within three weeks it was obvious the students were drowning at that speed. Their questions were brilliant. They just needed more room to breathe.

The rigor of the teaching was absolute. The format was not. We tore up the schedule and rebuilt the pacing around the rhythm of the room. Letting the students set the speed felt like losing control at first. It was the exact moment the program became good.

The standard stays fixed. The method has to listen.

A Quiet Conversation with Reality

The room begins to wake.

The first footsteps sound on the stairwell. A reservation confirmed in a low voice. The knife lifted again, this time for the evening ahead. The stillness that filled the counter an hour ago folds itself into the quiet work of service.

I used to think control was the point of building something. Grip the wheel hard enough, and the world would match the picture in my head. But the counter says otherwise, gently, every night.

What restraint really is

True leadership often looks like restraint. It is the quiet confidence to set the standard, build the vessel, and then trust the people and the material to show you the way forward. It is a willingness to let your first idea be reshaped by someone else's competence.

Building anything that lasts is not about forcing the world to mirror your blueprint. It is an ongoing, quiet conversation with reality. You set the standard that cannot bend, and then you pay very close attention to what the room tells you next.

Where to begin this week

So here is where to begin. This week, look at one thing you are gripping tightly and ask a simple question: If I am wrong about this, can it be undone? If the answer is yes, loosen your hold and watch what the room does with the space.

The knife goes back in its place. The first guest reaches for the door.

Lead on what matters. Yield on the rest. That is the whole quiet art of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Quiet Craft: Why the Best Work Needs No Applause

Staying Longer: What Slow Travel Taught Me About Building Things That Last

Master Craftsmen Secrets: The Art of Material Conversations